Boy
Lv 4
Boy asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

I Increased the oil in my lawn mower to 18oz, now there is a visible but faint gray smoke coming from it, is this normal?

I have a Briggs and Stratton snapper lawn mower,

I now upped the oil from 12 oz to 18 oz.

Now there is a faint light visible gray smoke coming from the muffler. It isn’t smoggy but it is gray smoke it is mostly clear.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • JJ
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

uhhh, why not fill to the indicated marking???

• y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Indicts that oil is burning, it will eventually burn off, too much oil can do as much damage as too little oil, always use the recommended amount for that motor.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Why don't you try filling with the correct type and amount of oil as specified by the people who designed it ??

• 1 month ago

oil smoke coming from an internal combustion engine usually means you are burning oil.  possible causes: worn rings and/or valves, excessive quantity of oil in the machine, blown head gasket  -- grampa

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

B&S does not use oil.  Overfilling means early destruction.  You are forcing the machine to slog through oil that should not be there.  Follow directions or cut the lawn with hand scissors.

• model-mower?  model-engine?  model  remote-control?  heh … just  kidding  about  that  last  one.

your  question … you  get  out  as  much  as  you  put  in … 'nuff  said.

• 1 month ago

The engine is burning off the excess oil you put in. {Been there, done that.}

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.