Is it normal for kids to get bad grades during a divorce?

Favorite Answer

As a teacher I can respond ABSOLUTELY. Ericsson's levels indicate that if their sense of love and belonging is broken you cannot expect higher levels to be functional.  In one year almost half my class ( year 7) was actively experiencing a divorce.  Teaching was impossible.  They needed mothering and support. Sometimes they came to school crying.  Sometimes hungry or in other ways neglected.  These things were far more important to them than trivia like studying.

Even after the divorce is finalized the ongoing friction interferes with them for some considerable time.  The children didn't hate either parent but the parents, in fighting each other, tend to make the children the meat in the sandwich. 

Oh absolutely, they are distracted thinking of the outcome and sometimes they put blame on them for their parents failed marriage. 

• Raja

It is possible due to lack of parental care and affection.

Statistically? Who here knows, I wonder?

Happy children do tend to perform better than unhappy ones, so much depends on circumstances. 

Unfortunately I myself was divorced when my son was around seven. I worked on him at the time, and his head teacher told me that he was the one child she would not have expected to be from a broken home. 

• boj

Yes it is normal

No, it is not .................

It's not normal at all, actually kids usually spend more  time on their schoolwork to distract themselves from the conflict so their grades normally go up. 

Yes; stressful situation at home.