How to safely remove the ripped top surface of a photo that is stuck on the back of another photo?

I don’t know what is the best thing to remove the ripped top surface of the photo that is stuck on the back of another photo, and where the contents of the top surface are not damaged, so I can glue the surface back on the first photo.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Sumi
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If the images are actual photographic prints and not prints from an inkjet or laser printer, simply soak the images in warm water.  Water will not harm prints made from film as the paper is designed to be immersed into chemicals (including water) during the printing process.

If, however, the images were from a inkjet printer, then the water would likely destroy the images.

Another option for inkjet photos is to use steam similar to how you'd remove a stamp from an envelope.  Put water in a kettle and bring it to a boil.  Pour the water into a glass.  Place the glass into a plastic bag with the print.  The humidity might make it possible to separate the piece of paper from the print.  I'm thinking that the amount of moisture won't be enough to damage the print.  If you're dealing with prints from an inkjet printer, make a test print before attempting this with the actual image.

• 4 weeks ago

Soak them in water, until such time as they are easily prised apart.  It will, obviously, take time for the pieces to dry out before you are able to stick the damaged pieces together.  (This is how we used to 'pull' pictures apart about 40 years ago when darkroom processing was 'different' to what it is today.)

• keerok
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

In a dry and preferably dark area, get a large enough air-tight container then lay the photos inside with a glass half-filled with water beside it. Take care not to wet the photos. You only need them moisturized a bit to be able to unstick them apart.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.