digis asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

English speakers, could you help me with my paragraph?

I am not an English speaker and I am not sure which sentence sounds better:

From the beginning of 2015, Data Centre has been using green energy, i.e. certified electricity obtained from renewable energy sources.

2015, Data Centre has been using green energy, i.e. certified electricity obtained from renewable energy sources, since the start of 2015.

Favorite Answer

I'd say the first sentence is best and more correct.

For one reason the second sentence uses "2015" twice, which doesn't sound quite right (was that the intention?)

Also, syntactically, the first sentence implies Data Centre has been using green energy since 2015

I take it that's what you want to convey.

But the second sentence could mean that the electricity has itself only been obtained from renewable energy sources since 2015, and that before this it was obtained from somewhere else other than from renewable energy (regardless of Data Centre using it or not)

So definitely the first one makes more sense.

Since the beginning of 2015, Data Centre has been using green energy, i.e. certified electricity obtained from renewable energy sources.