Boy
Boy asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 4 weeks ago

Is 12oz of oil enough for my lawn mower? ?

I put in 12oz of Fresh oil and drained the old oil out of course from my Briggs and Stratton snapper lawn mower.

I heard on their website that their push mowers uses 15 to 18 oz of oil.

Then when I looked up my snapper lawn mower it says the oil tank is 0,45 whatever that means.

It also stated for my particular lawn mower oil doesn’t need changing but refilling only though I went ahead and drained the old oil out and started anew. 

I just did mine. It takes 15 ounces.  so pick up a quart next time out and add a little more.  save the rest for next change.

No if you just changed your oil you should fill up the oil cup until it begins to rise into the Little neck when it begins to rise into the little filler neck then it has enough oil

• Edwena

Start it up and run it a few minutes.  Then stop and let it sit in its natural position for a few minutes.  Flat, etc.  Then check the oil.  Look in the oil fill hole, the oil should be up to the bottom of the hole. Fill it up to that level if necessary.  When you look in the oil fill hole, you will see the oil and it will either look full or like you need to add some.  This assumes you do not have a dip stick that is marked for the amount of oil. If you have a dip stick, wipe it off, stick it in all the way, then pull it out and look at the oil level on it.  The ,45 is liters, which is half a quart, which is 1 pint, which is 16 ounces, which is half of a plastic can of oil.

Most small mowers need between 16 & 20 oz of oil.  I pretty sure Briggs and Stratton use 20oz.  Have you checked The Briggs and Stratton web site?  

0.45 litres is the same as just over 15oz. If the oil can still be seen on the dip-stick with the mower on level ground  you can use it, but get some more asap.