Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 month ago

I have a question for senior citizens....?

Being a senior citizen with prostate problems, I sometimes find the need to use disposable underwear (like De pends). My question is, can those be washed in the washing machine and reused?

• Frank

Is it not possible to buy ones that are not meant to be once use only?  It would be far more economical, long term, if you could buy reusable ones and wash them out.

• Ann

My husband tried washing a pair and they disintegrated into paper balls.  The washer was a mess.  It took me about 20 minutes to clean it out.  If you're really short on funds and need to try to re-use a pair, I would suggest washing them by hand in the sink, blotting them as dry as possible, and then hanging them outside to dry.  The sunlight should take out odors and you should be able to get several wearings if you're careful and clean them this way every time.  Just don't get impatient.  Good luck.

• Judee

Read what it says on the packaging.

They can be, if last resort, I’d wash by hand tho with mild soap and lay flat to dry,  expect it to be crinkled tho,  I knew someone did that to, not because that person like it, because to save money 

Wouldn't that be like trying to wash a sponge? The more you add water, the more waterlogged they become. Check with Medicare or Medicaid to see if they will pick up the tab for disposable underwear. 

Think outside the box. With the toilet paper fiasco, I've been using a facewasher to wipe myself after having a pee. I have saved heaps of toi;let paper! (I wash the face washer) Maybe you can line your undies with a folded face washer to catch the pee - and wash and dry them after each use?

NO they cannot be reused. But you CAN buy them bulk on-line at a cheaper rate.

You'll have better results washing them in the sink where you can really rub your hands in them

They are disposable only. 

I dont think they make a reusable product 

• No.  Incontinence pants have a wood fibre layer that can absorb a huge amount of water.  If you put them in the washing machine, they will swell up and fill the machine.  Then you'll be unable to dry them - and ever if you manage it, they won't absorb water any more.