What do I call my story?

I'm writing a story about a man who falls in love with his male best friend from high school, but his best friend is getting married to their mutual female friend. The man tries to move on but ends up in an abusive relationship and almost ends his life. His best friend starts having second thoughts about his marriage when all he can think about is the man and having a relationship with him instead of his wife. Then the man's best friend learns about the abusive relationship and things spiral into chaos. 

What should I call it y'all? 

• Prince

Keep titles short and sweet, relevant and memorable. Call it "Buddies". 

• denise

Friends For Life?

Like the way you squeezed a "y'all" in at the end, there, "Chloe"! You still hooked 'em, though, eh?!

• Speed

Whoa, Chloe. Before you spend much time writing this, let's talk about human sexual orientation.

A man is straight, gay, or somewhere in between, which we'll call bisexual for this discussion. (Or asexual, or aromantic. But since relationships are the core of your concept, we'll take those last two off the table.)

You've got the One Guy longing for his Best Buddy from the start. Is One Guy gay? Does everybody know it, or is he closeted? Because it makes a huge, huge difference, both in how he interacts with Best Buddy and in what kind of abusive relationship he would accept and why. Basically, you need to know this guy really well, and figure out what the reader needs to know and how to present it.

If you do that, then he probably needs to be the point of view character, which makes the ending you propose either impossible to write, since you can't head-hop, or one long monologue explaining everything Best Buddy has been going through emotionally, like the end of an Agatha Christie novel.

So you've got Best Buddy getting married to a woman. Can we safely assume he is straight? Then your story is dead in the water, floating face down. No straight man, and I mean *no* straight man, becomes gay for the sake of one other special man. Romance publishers even list "Gay for You" in their list of things not to send them.

Or is he bisexual? In that case, why is he committing to a woman rather than a man? You have to present a plausible reason he'd deny half of who he is and what he needs. And that POV problem arises again, killing the story.

Be aware that while there are, of course, friendships across every imagined line separating different kinds of people, there aren't that many pairs of guys who are really tight where one's gay and the other isn't. What too often happens is exactly what you're setting up--and your best bro making a pass at you when you're straight destroys friendships in the real world, including long friendships.

It seems to me that this is an idea best abandoned. Sorry, it's not what you want to hear.

Oh, and titles? At the end, when the writing is complete. Often the two or three words that make a great title are in the story itself.

Spirals.

There: done.

Now sit down and write.

• Andrew

If you are still writing it, then you don't need a title at this point. If I were building a boat, but all I had was the beam for the keel, a pile of lumber and a coffee can filled with nails, I wouldn't start worrying about what to call the boat - I'd finish building it, then worry about that. 

Perhaps a more immediate concern might be that your story is completely unrealistic. I know young people have been conditioned to think it's completely normal for people who have maintained platonic friendships for years on end to suddenly realise that they are deeply in love with their friend, but in real life, that's not something that happens. 

And settling for somebody else because the person you love decided not to choose you is a pretty standard part of the maturing process. I spent plenty of time getting ropey because Caoimhe chose somebody else, but people who enter into abusive relationships do so out of a lack of self-esteem or because they have been conditioned to see displays of anger or violence as signs of strength and abuse as a display of affection. Those people require a psychologist. Whether they were with the person who they believe will complete them or with an abuser, the problems would still be there. 

If this man just happens to wake up one day next to his sleeping wife and say "Hmmm, you know what - on second thought I think I'm gay and I suddenly have this uncontrollable urge to enter into a same sex relationship with my very close platonic friend", that isn't going to come off as authentic, believable or sane to any reader. We'd also be talking about a person with severe mental and emotional issues who forced himself, for whatever reasons, to deny himself the right to pursue the life he was meant to pursue. And now he has ruined an innocent woman's life who only wanted to love him and build a life with him. 

Why do you young people think that you can approach these deep, very personal emotional issues with such flippancy? Frankly, it's incredibly insulting that you can be so thick, so dim, and so utterly clueless and think that readers are going to eat up the sheer dreck you produce without wondering how anybody with more than 4 brain cells could ever possibly think human beings might act that way or make such choices. You offend homosexuals with your incredibly inaccurate depiction of their thought processes and offend people who suffer from mental illness by trivializing their suffering and making it out to seem that all they need to be happy is for other people to do just what they want. 

Each and every day I lose more and more hope for your generation.