Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 4 weeks ago

How did we go from the confederacy being depicted like this from the 1993 gettysburg movie to today were they are practically nazis?

27 years and culture has gone 180

Attachment image

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

I believe the Confederacy did have a different mind set.

I once read that their overall goal was to set up a Caribbean centered empire modelled on Spanish imperialism, (Spanish being known as proud and haughty at the time).

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

I remember resistance to confederate flags on Capitol grounds 25 yrs. ago. As the movement grew, the pressure increased until one by one southern states acquiesced. The movement has exploded for reasons like the ubiquitous nature of cameras and a media that stepped up focusing on black inequality/profiling. Confederate relics are symbolic of slavery/racism, treason and losers to a majority of people now and those numbers are increasing.

Vicariously, I can see how the south wanted to honor their soldiers when the wounds of war were fresh. But this is several generations later and the imagery is having some unwanted residual effects.

"I think it wiser not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavoured to obliterate the marks of civil strife and to commit to oblivion the feelings it has engendered. ..." ... -Robt. E. Lee

• 4 weeks ago

The photo shows a bunch of men holding flags and weapons, just like the nazis.  These men believed that they had a right to own other human beings because, like the nazis, they believed that some men were inferior to others, and THEY were the superior race, just like the nazis.  The men who the actors were depicting WERE practically nazis. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

What are you getting at? They were racist traitors in the movie too... 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

The south seceded from The Union and started the American Civil War by attacking Fort Sumter in South Carolina shortly after Abraham Lincoln had been inaugurated as the President of the United States to continue upholding slavery.  They were nothing more than a group of secessionist traitors who wanted to secede from the union solely to keep using slave labor and got their *** kicked because of it.  They weren't even honorable soldiers, as the confederacy was based on birthright or wealth not valor.  Confederate monuments and memorials were developed by the United Daughters of the Confederacy to portray a fake history of the south to mask that fact.

Nobody is destroying your history, it never existed in the first place.

Attachment image
  • D50
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

The confederates didn't hate Jews. The confederate government was full of them.

• 4 weeks ago

It's one of the aspects of "Political Correctness".

Attachment image
  • 4 weeks ago

Both Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel panned "Gettysburg" as "bloated Southern propaganda"...prompting many to not even see it.

I'm an avid Civil War buff and recall a friend of mine being quite surprised that I'd see such a "racist movie"... I challenged him to actually watch it and tell me which parts were "racist" or "Southern propaganda"...

He did and said he really liked the movie and was surprised how wrong Siskel and Ebert were about it...

And therein lies the problem..... He would have had the same opinion of the movie had he not actually watched it....

What you have is a reflection of the number of people who let the TV do their thinking for them today vs. the 1990s....which was still the outset of this vapid culture of easily-led superficiality...

• 4 weeks ago

Nazis weren't fighting to keep slavery nor where they white supremacists.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It's a small minority who say that, but they happen to have the media on their side which makes their numbers seem larger. Their opinion of the American Civil War is too negative, too, to be considered credible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.