Should I quit?

I'm 18 and I was trying to find a job for the summer. The ministry told me that there is this company that needs a secretary for the summer and that they wouldn't give me less that minimum wage (8.70 euros an hour). I went there for 3 days and today I asked them about the salary and the told me I'm an intern so I'm not getting paid normally but I will get 200/300/400 a month as a bonus.

I really need to collect money, a lot more than that. I'm now going there part time but from next week I might go there full time and I don't think the salary will get any better. I don't think I'll find another job but I don't think that buying clothes appropriate for an office and going there 10 hours a day for 2 months is worth it. But I won't be able to find another summer job now, it's way too late.

Btw there are 3 secretaries including me and 2 of them won't work for 2 weeks so I'll completely alone doing all of the work but not even get paid as a normal employee. I can't talk to them because I'm too shy and inexperienced and can't handle these things yet.

Do you think I should quit?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Robert
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I think you should explain to them that you will work hard for your money and that you need to make at least *****. Tell them that if they don't feel you are worth it after a month you will leave, but you can't work for the amount offered, intern or not.   Then get a handle on being shy.  Confidence opens doors, being shy guarantees you will be taken advantage of.  You have a handle on what the job is and you know if you can do it.  If you feel you can, be confident. 

• 1 month ago

Your fault for not verifying the exact terms of employment & pay rate with the employer prior to accepting the job. Keep looking for something else even while continuing to work what job you have. 

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

wait until the other 2 secretaries leave. that way you'll have leverage. so go talk to your supervisor and renegotiate your salary. mention that you need to dress for success.

• 1 month ago

It’s better than nothing, and you’re accurate in understanding you’re late in seeking summer employment. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.