Should I quit?

I'm 18 and I was trying to find a job for the summer. The ministry told me that there is this company that needs a secretary for the summer and that they wouldn't give me less that minimum wage (8.70 euros an hour). I went there for 3 days and today I asked them about the salary and the told me I'm an intern so I'm not getting paid normally but I will get 200/300/400 a month as a bonus.

I really need to collect money, a lot more than that. I'm now going there part time but from next week I might go there full time and I don't think the salary will get any better. I don't think I'll find another job but I don't think that buying clothes appropriate for an office and going there 10 hours a day for 2 months is worth it. But I won't be able to find another summer job now, it's way too late.

Btw there are 3 secretaries including me and 2 of them won't work for 2 weeks so I'll completely alone doing all of the work but not even get paid as a normal employee. I can't talk to them because I'm too shy and inexperienced and can't handle these things yet.

Do you think I should quit?

• Robert
    Favorite Answer

I think you should explain to them that you will work hard for your money and that you need to make at least *****. Tell them that if they don't feel you are worth it after a month you will leave, but you can't work for the amount offered, intern or not.   Then get a handle on being shy.  Confidence opens doors, being shy guarantees you will be taken advantage of.  You have a handle on what the job is and you know if you can do it.  If you feel you can, be confident. 

Your fault for not verifying the exact terms of employment & pay rate with the employer prior to accepting the job. Keep looking for something else even while continuing to work what job you have. 

• Sandy

wait until the other 2 secretaries leave. that way you'll have leverage. so go talk to your supervisor and renegotiate your salary. mention that you need to dress for success.

It’s better than nothing, and you’re accurate in understanding you’re late in seeking summer employment.