Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Do you put bell peppers and celery in your chili?

I saw a receipe that included bell peppers and celery I wonder if it makes it taste better

Bell Peppers, yes.  I do prefer Red, orange or yellow Bell Peppers to the Green ones, the green are not as sweet.  I also use Jalapeno and Poblano peppers

Bell pepper yes. Celery NO. Celery has a bitter taste and it gets mushy. 

I put some chopped red bell pepper in it, and I put it in sloppy joe mix too.

• denise

Yes, I put some chopped red bell pepper in it, and I put it in sloppy joe mix too.

Peppers....yes

Celery............. No

I put in both.  Bell peppers add a bit of flavor and celery is added for texture and volume.

Yes, along with onions. 

• kswck2

It is not uncommon to put both into chili. A type of White Mirepoix i onion, celery and bell pepper is not unusual(standard Mirepoix would be with carrot instead of peppers-or a standard White Mirepoix would have Leek instead of peppers). Any of them works fine since chili is such a 'forgiving' dish. 

No I do not.   But more veggies aren't a bad thing.

Bell peppers, never, but that's only because they don't agree with me. Celery, yes, if I have any around when I'm making the chili and want to use it up. Celery doesn't alter the taste in a noticeable way. Bell peppers would. Chili is a very flexible dish. Exact quantities and ingredients aren't important, at least they aren't to me. I'm sure that some chili fanatics don't see it that way at all.