Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

Is it okay to keep raw meat in the fridge (Not the freezer) for a couple of days?

Ground pork to be exact. Just using half of it today and planning to use the rest after 2 days.

Should I put it in the freezer now? Or will it be fine to just put in the fridge?

of course. It was in a cooler(large fridge) in the store..no different.

• David

It will be fine in the fridge, just keep it covered or sealed.

Yes; this is absolutely fine. Meat will be fine for a few days if kept suitably stored and refrigerated.

• kswck2

The knee jerk reaction is' Yeah, it will be fine'. But it more depends on When the meat was packaged to begin with. One of the things I always do with a store new to me, is to Introduce myself to the Butcher, talk to him, tell him what I usually buy, how I am going to use it, maybe take a picture of the finished dish and show it to him the next time (and throw him a few bucks too). And go to Him each time I go into the store-even if to just say Hello. That way, If I ask him about something I have questions about, he will give me the Real answer-like 'We packaged that 4 days ago'-and I know i don't want to leave it in the fridge 3 more days. I have even had a butcher take something out of my hands and tell me 'No, you don't want that. Come back in 10 minutes and I will give you something else.'

Most folks don't realize that you Can do this in any grocery store. 

Yes, as long as it was fresh, a couple of days is fine. 

It would depend on how old the meat was to start with. It's best to only buy meat that has a “use by” date.

I'd expect it to be fine for a couple of days if it was reasonably fresh when you bought it.

You are good in the fridge for two or three days with ground pork. Package it with as little air as possible in the package. I routinely age beef steaks in the fridge uncovered for four or five days, sprinkled with marinade.

• Anton

Three days in a 40°F refrigerator, no problem!