Why do some parents change their older kids diapers if they wet the bed and are capable of doing it themselves?

Why shouldn’t they? It’s a parent’s job to care for their child.

How old is "older" Brian? Are you talking a teenager here, or are you just referring to someone over the age of 4, which is when bed wetting (medical name enuresis) is normally diagnosed?

You sound like you need to understand a few things about the medical disorder called enuresis. And yes, it IS a medical disorder. It's also genetic for many people, particularly when it occurs without any other medical explanation for its existence. I'm speaking to you as a former enuretic- I suffered from the disorder myself for 5 years as a teenager. And because my parents were ignorant about it, just like you are, I endured a tremendous amount of abuse- physical and emotional- because of it. Contrary to what you might have heard, Brian, children and teens who suffer from enuresis are NOT being antisocial. There is a lengthy list of medical problems associated with this disorder- some of which, like obstructive sleep apnea and diabetes, can be fatal if they are left untreated. That is why, if a child over the age of 4 regularly experiences episodes of enuresis, he or she must be thoroughly evaluated by a physician in order to rule out any medical issues that may be contributing to the disorder. That evaluation must include a sleep study, and it also should include at least one session with a psychologist or psychiatrist for the purpose of addressing any mental health issues that may be occurring.

If a child with this disorder is found not to have any other medical or psychological issues, then chances are very high that he or she is experiencing the hereditary form of enuresis. It also means that the child or teen has a family history of it- he or she must have had a parent or grandparent, or perhaps more than one relative, who is or was an enuretic him or herself. That was true with me- the disorder runs through my father's mother's family, and I inherited the gene or genes that cause it at conception. My father was plagued by enuresis for years as a teenager and young adult too- and he only narrowly avoided being medically discharged from the military because of it. Stop and think for a second how awful it must have been for someone of that age- and in the armed forces, no less- to have experienced this disorder. Abuse doesn't even begin to describe what he must have been subjected to. So yes, even though I was abused myself, I have a lot of compassion for what he experienced.

I might also mention that enuresis isn't just limited to kids and teens, which is something else you may or may not be aware of. It's estimated that around 5 percent of the ADULT population in the US also suffers from the disorder. That translates into roughly 15 million people, maybe a few more. And there are around 1 million children and teens who will experience at least one episode of enuresis before they reach age 18. Women are 3 to 5 times as likely to experience enuresis as men, because of the stresses put on their bodies by pregnancy and childbirth. Childbirth in particular is problematic, because it can damage the nerves that control the bladder sphincter, resulting in leakage and accidents. When enuresis occurs in men, particularly men over 50 years of age, the number one cause is usually prostate surgery. It's also well documented that people who suffer from enuresis in childhood or adolescence can experience it again as adults. And these individuals are also at risk of passing the gene or genes that cause it on to their children. So there is a lot more to the disorder than meets the eye, Brian.

Parents help their kids put on dry clothes as a way of comforting them. Enuresis is a very uncomfortable and humiliating disorder for any child or teen to have to deal with. Smart parents know that it isn't the child's fault, and that they aren't able to control or stop the disorder on their own. PUNISHING a child for enuresis is VERY CRUEL.

• LizB

Because wetting the bet is upsetting, it's not something they can control, and punishing them for it may make it worse. Helping them change into something dry is part of comforting them.