Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

My grandad just passed away, I’m 16 and I really don’t know how to deal with grief, advice ?

Recently my grandad was diagnosed with cancer, I was told minute details about what was going on but I barely knew anything as I thought they were going to help him and cure him but it turned out there was nothing they could do. Two weeks later he passed away so suddenly only my grandma and mum were with him and I didn’t even get to say anything to him or see him before he passed. When he was alive we were so close, we spent so much wonderful time together I just can’t believe he’s gone I can’t even write this it hurts so much. I don’t want to show my feelings to much and I’m scared to talk about him to my mum and grandma as I’m afraid I would only cause them to be more sad and that would hurt me so much. This all feels so surreal to me I can’t process it at all. I saw my grandma cry today and it broke me, I will never see them together again and I feel so bad for feeling so upset when she knew him for decades longer than me before I was even born. I just don’t know how I’m going to get through this I’ve never experienced grief before someone please give me some advice.

I am sorry for your loss. Death "does not compute for us" because originally we were not created with death in our minds...only eternal life. Please know that our creator Jehovah God also feels your pain and is always ready to comfort you in this time of pain and grief. If I can I would like to share two things with you:

(1) Look to God's word for comfort the 2nd book of Corinthians chapter 1 verses 3 & 4 are particularly helpful as well as the Bible book of Jeremiah chapter 29 verse 11(2) this short article is very helpfulhttps://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/awake-no3-...

Read what Alexander has written, it all makes sense.  I lost my dad suddenly, it was a shock to me, he had a fall and I didn't have a chance to say goodbye. It was very hard but eventually the pain eased away. Time will heal your pain.

His physical body may be gone but he is beside you spiritually.  Think of all the good times you had with him and pen it down.

Remember to hug your grandma and let her know you are there for her.  

I'm sorry for your loss. Grief hurts, and it takes time to adjust to loved ones no longer being physically with us. By patient with yourself during this time and do whatever you need to do to get through it. As for your family, everyone walking on eggshells to spare everyone else's feelings is common, but wrong. They'll all be thinking about your grandfather whether you mention him or not. Crying is OK, normal and healthy. If they don't want to talk, they'll tell you, but this is the best time for sharing stories, pictures and memories of your grandfather. Feel free to ask. After that, all you need to do is listen. Again, be patient, with yourself and your family. It gets better.

Source(s): 20 years as a grief counselor

ask god to help you cope with it

ask god to help you cope with it