Can i kick my 40 year old son out of my property without legal repercussions?

Ok so i am from Texas i have my 40 year old son living in an apartment on my property. He refuses to leave and says he has rights while forging rental lease agreements that we never signed. He does not pay rent or utilities, he has been selling drugs and making counterfeit money we have called our local police department twice already and they do not do anything. I am so tired of all he is putting us through and i just want him out is there anything i can do as soon possible. We are desperate please

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

He has to be properly & legally evicted in accordance with TX law.  Illegal activity allows you to give less than standard notice in some states. Check TX law on that to see if it is legal or not. 

• Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Counterfeit money is an FBI issue. Call them.  Otherwise you're going to have to go through your state's legal eviction process.

• 1 month ago

You give him a 30 day notice to vacate.  If he does not, you evict him.  

• 1 month ago

This is a bad situation. And your son is absolutely CORRECT.  He has tenant's rights. He does not have to have a lease or agreement to have Squatter's rights, in fact. You have to go through the court system to legally evict him. 

FIRST--go to a lawyer and have him or her draft a legal eviction notice. You do not have to detail the reasons--nonpayment of rent is enough--you simply give him three days to vacate. If he doesn't, then you have to get the COUNTY SHERIFF to do it forcibly. You MUST protect any belongings he leaves behind. You cannot turn off utilities or change locks in order to evict. You cannot "force" eviction by making it impossible to live there. And you cannot board up the place or bar further entry until he is OUT. 

I urge you very strongly to use Google and research what your Texas laws are here--because this is a tough one and you will need to be absolutely above-board and legal in order not to risk him retaliating by being legally allowed to sue you. And if you force eviction in any way that is not legal, he CAN. 

I am not joking here. This happens a lot--and it's very hard to get things back under control. The property owner is usually the one who bears all the expense and bother of trying to evict unwanted tenants--even if they are relatives.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Of course you can.  He is not your tenant.  He is just a loathsome creature.

• 1 month ago

Forgery is easy to prove. Give him a 30-day vacate notice and when he's not out, have him served for an eviction, go to court, let him show the forged documents.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes.  See a lawyer.

• 1 month ago

It looks like Texas allow allows 3 days notice absent an actual written or verbal lease....of course he will try to argue you have a verbal lease in which case he gets 30 days if the judge buys it....

you need to give written legal notice to vacate, many states are 1 calendar month, but laws vary. in most areas, if he doesn't leave after the notice, you have to file for eviction in court.

you can continue to pursue criminal charges.  it may or may not be easy to prove, a handwriting expert can prove it, but you would have to be willing to pay for it

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Give legal written notice in writing, keep a copy, when he doesn't leave by the date, file an court eviction, attend court, get the eviction awarded and have him removed by the court sheriff

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You have to take formal eviction procedures via the court.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.