Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

If you are parked on your private property are you required to prove to cops you own it?

If I'm parked on a piece of land that belongs to me but someone calls the cops on me claiming I'm a trespasser and they show up. Am I required to prove to them that it's my property or they'll arrest me?

If someone is claiming that you are tressassing then they can require you to prove that you are not. 

• John

I've never been asked to prove I own a vehicle I have on my own property.

No, as a general rule, police do not arrest people unless there is evidence of a crime. Parking on your own property is not a crime and even parking on someone ELSE'S property is not a crime, unless you're somehow a criminal trespasser.  The police aren't there to engage in discussion of who might be the legal owner of some real estate.

They wouldn't likely arrest you, just ask you to leave.  

You are required to cooperate. They will ask you to identify yourself. They can decide to verify through county property records that you are the owner - which takes time - or not. If they choose not to and order you to move, you comply with the order. The time to file any complaint is later. People have ended up dead because they insisted on having their 'rights' on the spot and the situation escalated.

• Dan

It's a good thing to have neighborhood watch and to have police look in on your property for any suspicious activity. You don't have to prove anything, just state your name. They can pull up the owner info by entering the address. It's county records. In case you didn't know, anyone can find that info online. It's not a big deal. And I would thank the officers for coming out. 

I'd hope the cops have more to do than this.

I'd park their and not worry about it.

• Maxi

Why would you not prove you own it if you are doing nothing wrong and you do own it...end of issue!

Yes,Sparky.     

yes............