How long does it take to know music?

So I sent a recording of myself singing an original to a pro singer and they told me there were rhythm issues with the song. Now I feel discouraged because I feel like maybe I know too little about music to right a good song. Also I have noticed that sometimes I can't tell if a singer is off key. So I need someone to tell me how long does it take to know music really well? 6 months? 6 years? 

Favorite Answer

The cellist Pablo Casals was widely held to be the best cellist in the world in the early 20th century, and one of the finest of all time.

At the age of 95 he gave an interview where he was asked why he still felt the need to practise for 4 or 5 hours a day. "Because I think I am making progress"

You NEVER 'know' music. However you can always improve. The more you do, the better you will become. In 6 years you might look back on things you wrote today and think they're total garbage - or you might still find many things you like about them, but have since refined your style.

More on the 6 years side. If you really can't tell if someone is singing off-key, it's going to be a while longer. Best wishes!! 🎶 👍