Am I being overcharged for this tattoo?

I am thinking about getting a tattoo on my calf. It will be in black and grey, and it will be 6 inches high and 2 inches wide. The quote I got from the artist was $800 which was more than I expected. I really like the design and his work, but I’m not sure if I’m being ripped off. What do you guys think? 

• Laura
    Favorite Answer

We have no idea if this is an appropriate price because 1: we cannot see the design you want, and 2: we don't know what this artist's hourly rate is. 

Tattoos are priced by the hour.  If an artist has an hourly rate of $200, a tattoo that will take 4 hours to tattoo will be estimated at $800.  If the artist is very well known, they may want a deposit of a few hundred, no matter the tattoo, and this is on top of their hourly rate.  Ask what their hourly rates are so you know how they are pricing this. 

The size of the tattoo doesn't mean much when we can't see the design.  A tattoo that size can be completed in 15 minutes if its a simple line art design, or it can take hours to complete because its a portrait.  We have no idea what this design is so we can't say if this artist is messing with you or not.  You don't tell us how long they estimated the tattoo would take either, so we really can't say if this artist is ripping you off or not. 

This sounds expensive but very common for well known tattoo artists. 

Yeah that’s an insane price for a tattoo 

• Walt

it sounds about right a good tattoo artist well cost you. a cheap tattoo from a so called artist you regret it at the end

For something you probably will have for the rest of your life, it is wise to go to the best artist you can find. If you have to wait a while longer to save up, it will be time and money well spent.

• kelvin

i have a tattoo about the same size on the right side of my chest and mine cost $500 and it was $100 an hour plus lotion and a tip so it all depends on how much he charges per hour as a tattoo that size if you want it too look good will take 4-5 hours

I know guys who charge $50/hour and I know artists who charge $400/hour, as in most things you get what you pay for .......