Grace asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 1 month ago

Politically correct shade names for different skin tones?

Hi! So I'm releasing a 'nude' clothing line which has a large variety of skin tone shades available so there's available options for everyone. As a caucasian woman, I want to know, from women who have darker skin tones what do you find appropriate as shade names for say foundation shades or nude clothing shades? I'm aware that typical food descriptions like "coffee" and "chocolate" are massively overused by brands and can also be offensive. As I want my brand to be all inclusive and in no way make anyone feel uncomfortable, what shade names would you feel comfortable seeing? 

Thanks so much!

Find some different minerals that have different shades, for example Quartz being light Jade being medium, Emerald being dark, etc. I think it sounds like you will reflect the different shades without being stereotypical. Also put descriptions where ever you can i.e. This dress color is Quartz, a light nude for the fairest skins. Best of luck to you.

Don't use words. Use numbers and letters. They are neutral with no attached judgement. You can also go 100% literal and use words like light, medium and dark and add obvious modifiers such as warm, cool, neutral and medium, very, and extreme. If I were doing what you are planning I would most certainly use a scale of numbers and letters and not risk color words at all. I would probably use what hair colorists do: Use color levels to group tones together and shades within the levels to refine and narrow color selection. Read up on hair color levels and shades, you will find it very helpful and I think you'll find the answer you are looking for.