Verulam 1 asked in SportsHorse Racing · 1 month ago

Do you think there comes a point when enough is enough for any horse being kept in training, in terms of age.?

Is running a horse well past the time he/she would have gone to the breeding barn, just being greedy? I know all horses are different in terms of how long they can keep racing, but, thinking about Enable here when is it ok, and when not?

Favorite Answer

Yes! Most definitely there comes a point when enough is enough. No matter age. Sadly, I'm sure greed does come into the picture at times. However, a good caring trainer who loves their horses should be evaluating their horses performance daily. In my experience each horse is different and they all reach a point in his or her life where soundness and other factors begin to affect his their ability to continue at a certain level of competition. A lot of thought should go into a horses needs, social, mental and physical anytime. It's hard to force a horse to do something it longer wants to do, that's a fact. 

I thought for sure last year they were going to retire Enable. Shocked to see her come back again because of all the talk of her possibly retiring. Nice second that she finished in this year her 2020 debut in Coral-Eclipse. It all depends on the horse. Some horses continue racing even beyond 10 years old. For example race horse Pay Any Price is a 10-year-old gelding owned by Averill Racing LLC and Matties Racing Stable LLC, held off a late rally by Ambassador Luna to win Sunday's Bob Umphrey Turf Sprint by a nose over a 'good' turf course at Gulfstream Park in the U.S.. Pretty impressive for both Enable and Pay Any Price. I can only hope that Enable's trainer, and all trainers will do the right thing going forward.

I believe a horse should be judged by his condition and not his age.When a horse stops winning regular and starts losing to other horses he has blown away in the past its time to turn him or her out to pasture.

I see this often in 7 year olds or higher.

John Henry was winning stakes races well into his twelfth year.