KFC
KFC asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Why do people think someone works at a place when they don't?

Why does this happen when a person goes up to another customer who is not wearing anything remotely similar to the uniform the staff wear in the store and get quite rude saying "you work here so your job" "help me out" and when the person try to explain they don't work there they don't believe it and get the manager and other staff involved demanding a person who doesn't work there get fired and even when the manager says "they don't work there" the person still doesn't believe it.. I what is going through those people's heads? How can they be so stupid? Do they want to be arrested or banned from stores?

I've had that. A woman came up to me asking for directions and I just told her I didn't work there. I also had where a BIG media mogul called my office by mistake, insisting I give him something I couldn't. He got really mad and insisted on speaking with my supervisor telling her to sack me. She's like, 'What?' He picked up something and asked her a few more questions before realising he had the wrong number. So funny.

cause they think everyone works there

Only the person knows why they behave like that.  Ask them.

We are perceived differently by different people, and some will look at another and make the assumption that person is an employee and can help them with their needs/request.  Calling in a Manager and still not believing that 'their' person is not an employee might suggest someone in need of being in control/refusing to admit they made a mistake.  This could be covering up personal insecurities.