What's tummy time?

What's the purpose of it? someone I know mentioned it to me but I'm not sure what it is.

Thank you for the answers :)

Favorite Answer

Placing a baby on their tummy helps them with certain muscle development.  Making sure that a baby spends some time on their tummy every day can help strengthen neck and shoulder muscles.  (the baby tends to try to lift their head to look around.)  A baby also has a soft area on their head because their skull isn't completely fused yet.  Tummy time reduces flat spots on a baby's head from spending too much time on their back.  

Tummy time starts at around the age of three months and should be about 30 minutes per day.  Placing a small toy near the baby encourages the baby to move and reach for the toy which also helps their development.  

Tummy time is one of the first steps in helping the baby develop strength and motor skills that will later help them learn to sit, crawl, and even walk.  

• L

'Tummy time' means placing baby on their tummy so they can learn to crawl.

• Linda

It could mean it's time to eat because the tummy is hungry and needs immediate attention such as in "feed me now."