Car Wash asked in PetsReptiles · 1 month ago

Which lizard species are venomous?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Gila Monster ( a small lizard in the desert) and the Komoda Dragan (largest lizard in the world) and highly venomous.  Tho the Komoda really doesn't have venom - its bite has so much bacteria in it from eating dead animals that it acts like a poison when it bites a live animal.

• 1 month ago

Isn't a gila monster pretty deadly?

• 1 month ago

Komona Dragon and Gila Monster are the only 2 I can think of right now.

• 1 month ago

if u carry laptop wit notepad.exe u can go to lizard homes and let each one bite, then record result in notepad

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Gila monster and beaded lizard are the most venemous.

Bearded dragons have a mild venom, tho for most humans it doesnt cause a reaction.  A handful suffer some mild irritation.

Some monitors also have venom.. Tho, again, not typically an issue for humans.

I was told that komodos in nature have a potent venom, but ones kept in captivity, not so much.   This was told to me by someone who is very experienced with keeping reptiles (and even has a few hots in his care).

• 1 month ago

Gila monsters, beaded lizards, monitor lizards. Although most monitor lizards are not going to be  a problem for people 

"We now know that far more lizards are venomous than previously thought, including the iconic Komodo dragon -- the world's largest lizard," Dr Fry said.

Dr Fry and his colleagues have studied venoms of 16 species of monitor lizards, including the Komodo dragon and related species from Africa, Asia and Australia, and compared them to the venom of four other lizards, including the iconic Gila monster.

• 1 month ago

Komodo dragons 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Only 2, Heloderma suspectum (Gila monster) and Heloderma horridum (Mexican beaded lizard). They are close relatives. The venom is similar to that of rattlesnake venom. They have teeth that have grooves on the surface, and the venom can flow from the venom gland into the victim along the groove in the teeth. Any claim that other lizards are also venomous is unsupported by science.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The Gila monster and the Mexican bearded lizard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gila_monster

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I thought Monitor Lizards, Komodo Dragons & Iguanas are recently discovered to be venomous too"

No, they don't produce venom.  However, their saliva is so loaded with nasty bacteria that their bites often cause fatal infections.  Bite victims can die from the infections, but it's not from any sort of venom.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.