Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 3 months ago

Will I get in trouble for this?

So I was driving home from Boston yesterday and I accidentally smashed into another car as I was switching lanes. I got scared, panicked and sped away. It was night time so I don’t think the other driver seen my license plates but I drove back around that area today and noticed there is a traffic camera next to that intersection where the incident happened. Will the insurance company have the police check on those cameras or will they not even bother doing that? I drive for a living so I can’t really have any points on my license or else I risk getting terminated

• PANKO

Start looking for another job. One that doesn't require driving.

Looks like your heading to jail soon.

• car253

In California it is felony hit and run.   Yes, there will be jail time.   But if you stay at the accident you are not in trouble at all.   No ticket or jail time.   Just points on your DMV record that raise your auto insurance rates.   https://www.sweeneymerrigan.com/massachusetts-hit-...

I'm an insurance adjuster.  We IMMEDIATELY request the video footage.  That way it isn't lost of recorded over.

Yes, of course, the cameras will be checked.  Usually in a hit and run both the insurance company AND the Police are interested in locating the driver.

You had better hope to God they didn't get your plate number or cannot identify the make, model, year and color of your car (I hope they can).

Penalties - If someone leaves the scene of a damaging car accident in Massachusetts without stopping, checking for injuries or exchanging information, that person could face criminal charges and severe penalties. The consequences of a hit-and-run conviction include fines, jail time and driver’s license suspension.

If the crash caused property damage only, the at-fault driver could face a fine of up to $200 and/or up to two years in jail, plus six months of driver’s license suspension. If the crash caused injuries or deaths, the hit-and-run driver will receive a minimum of six months in jail (up to two years), a fine of up to $1,000 and one year of license suspension. The driver will also be civilly liable for victims’ damages if caught.

• May

So Pack your bag. So You will need a fresh change of clothes while in the cell with Bubba.  Your new best friend. So.

The "SO" generation.  They have no clue.

• Jay P

Although this is a troll question, I'll still answer it seriously.

Even if there are no traffic cameras in the area, more and more people have dash cams.  The vehicle ( in your fictional story ) may have had one or another vehicle close by may have had one and that person stopped to share the camera footage.

Reported the troll...............

• mokrie

Hit and run is much more serious then having an accident. If they do check those cameras your in deep shytte..

Sounds like another troll story.