Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Is moving in together before marriage still a big deal?

• Foofa

It's not a big deal in terms of social judgment as it's something most people do. Unless you've spent a lot of time doing sleepovers and the like you really won't know if you can stand to live with someone until you've actually lived with them. 

• Happy

I suppose..............

• RP

Not as big as it once was, but, for many, it is still a big deal. That's the last decision before something more.

Yes, its still 'a thing'.  It is absolutely mandatory (IMO) to explore this option if you are planning to marry someone.  Considering how high the divorce rate is (in the US), it is just a smart move.  People often have this fantasy of what married life is like and jump into this too fast without knowing exactly who the other person is (underneath all the superficial fluff) and it can be a huge shock when you find out that Mr. or Ms. perfect is actually far from what you expected.  Compatibility extends far beyond just how you get along on dates or sexually.  Things that don't irk you now, can inevitably cause major distress.  Even seemingly small issues can often end up causing huge marital strife, and are important to work through BEFORE marriage.  Remember, people usually don't let their guard down during the dating phase (and this can extend into the engagement period as well).  You want to see all those imperfections and bad habits before making the ultimate commitment that marriage is.   

If you’re planning on marrying someone I’d definitely advise living together first because then you get to see the real them, highs and lows. It’s a step of take before committing myself for life to them.

I don't think it has been a big deal for at least 60 years.  At least as far as everyone else is concerned. 

No, my ex and I lived together for 20 years w/o getting married; no one cared.