Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Is moving in together before marriage still a big deal?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's not a big deal in terms of social judgment as it's something most people do. Unless you've spent a lot of time doing sleepovers and the like you really won't know if you can stand to live with someone until you've actually lived with them. 

• Happy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I suppose..............

• RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not as big as it once was, but, for many, it is still a big deal. That's the last decision before something more.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, its still 'a thing'.  It is absolutely mandatory (IMO) to explore this option if you are planning to marry someone.  Considering how high the divorce rate is (in the US), it is just a smart move.  People often have this fantasy of what married life is like and jump into this too fast without knowing exactly who the other person is (underneath all the superficial fluff) and it can be a huge shock when you find out that Mr. or Ms. perfect is actually far from what you expected.  Compatibility extends far beyond just how you get along on dates or sexually.  Things that don't irk you now, can inevitably cause major distress.  Even seemingly small issues can often end up causing huge marital strife, and are important to work through BEFORE marriage.  Remember, people usually don't let their guard down during the dating phase (and this can extend into the engagement period as well).  You want to see all those imperfections and bad habits before making the ultimate commitment that marriage is.   

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If you’re planning on marrying someone I’d definitely advise living together first because then you get to see the real them, highs and lows. It’s a step of take before committing myself for life to them.

• 1 month ago

I don't think it has been a big deal for at least 60 years.  At least as far as everyone else is concerned. 

• 1 month ago

No, my ex and I lived together for 20 years w/o getting married; no one cared.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.