Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Are you a Christian who doesn’t like church?

I am a ex-atheist that became a Christian years ago.  I enjoy reading and talking about the Bible but I don’t like going to church.  I don’t care to sing and listen to long winded prayers. I just don’t get anything out of it.

Favorite Answer

When I was a Christian child I 100 percent believed in Christianity but hated church.  I guess a lot of kids did though.  It was boring.

"I just don’t get anything out of it"?

Heb 10:24  And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 

Heb 10:25  not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. 

The reason I go to church is to try to "stir up" others to "love and good works" and encourage them.  If I happen to also "get something out of it", that's a bonus.  Church is more about others than it is about me.  So for example,, I'll ask fellow Christians how they are doing.  I'll tell them that I'm glad to see them, and encourage them in their spiritual walk.  I'll introduce myself to people I don't know and try to get to know something about them.  If someone brings up a concern, I'll stop then and there and pray with them about the concern.  As a servant of Jesus, I do those things because Jesus wants me to.  A servant's heart looks for opportunities to serve others (Mk 10:45).

Now here's the rub.  The more I encourage others and the like, the more I "get out of church".  May I suggest instead you follow the Bible command and focus your efforts at church on pleasing others rather than looking for yourself to be pleased.

Do you think the very first Christians just sat around and personally read the Bible? There was no Bible to read for over 400 years. The first Christians celebrated the Eucharist, sang psalms, and had a liturgy. They did that because that was the tradition handed down directly from the apostles.  And why did the apostles hand this tradition down? Because that's the way Jesus taught them.

Have you tried a different church?  There are different denominations because they all have different styles of service.  One is bound to sit right with you.

My church teaches the Bible so I love it.  As for heaven and hell, here is the truth: The Lord Jesus Christ is God. Nobody can be good enough to avoid hell. The truth is that death leads to immediate heaven or hell, depending only on whether the person believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, or not. The truth is that the Lord Jesus Christ loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell.

.

Believing in the Lord Jesus Christ means being forgiven all sins past and future and means going to heaven. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that the Lord Jesus Christ is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus was buried, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing on Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven when you die, because you believe in Jesus! It is too late to be saved, after death

• Dave D

You are going to the wrong Church.  If you truly understood the Eucharist as taught in Catholic, Orthodox and some Protestant faiths you would be there every opportunity you had.  The bread and wine brought to the altar for sacrifice are symbols of our food and drink.  It is what we need to survive.  What we are bringing to the altar for sacrifice is not a little bread and wine but rather OURSELVES, our LIVES.  We are praying that WE be changed into the body and blood of Christ.  When we receive the Eucharist we are receiving God's direct presence within us.  When you truly understand that you will find that wild horses would not be able to keep you away.

No.  I love going to church although I haven't been since February due to the Covid situation.  But I do listen to on-line Baptist services.  Maybe you just never attended a good church.