Traffic ticket?

I got a ticket for "racing on a highway" and on the back it says "must appear" where the fine section is. And it also says for me to check "guilty or no contest" what does all this mean and should I choose guilty or no contest?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

The only REQUIREMENT is that you are required to appear.  At this point no one cares if you plead guilty, no contest or anything else.

Your other questions states that the Officer couldn't determine your speed.  So appear on the date on the ticket and discredit the Officer's testimony.

The person you were racing should appear and also testify.

• 1 month ago

It doesn't TELL you to check guilty or no contest. It might suggest you do that. Doing that means a conviction on your record. You can enter a not guilty plea or have a lawyer do it for you, but you'd better appear where and when you are told to.

• 1 month ago

i would ask a lawyer about it

• 1 month ago

'Racing' is a higher offense than just speeding.  It's a two-point offense in some states (maybe all states) and the fine is higher. 

When you just pay a ticket, what you're actually doing is posting bail and then forfeiting it.  The bail is (not coincidentally) set at the penalty amount, the amount it would have cost you if you'd lost.  The matter is never adjudicated!  You never enter a plea, present evidence, and receive a verdict.

But if you commit a more serious crime, they want you to come to court and plead either guilty or not guilty.  The judge wants to hear what you have to say for yourself.  Were you really racing, or just speeding?  How fast were you going?  Did you think that was safe?  What's the friggin' deal with you anyway?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

"Must appear" means that you have to go to court.  You can't just stay home and pay the fine by mail or phone.

If you want to fight it, you check not guilty.

If you want the judge to just tell you the punishment, you check no contest.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.