What are the safest, most affordable cities in California?

I'm considering moving to California. But I'm afraid there is a lot of crime there, especially in Los Angeles. I prefer to live near the ocean but also in a populated area so I don't feel isolated. 

Also looking for affordability - like, you can get a lot for a small price (e.g. 3 bedroom, 2 bedroom house).

This would probably be the BEST time to move to LA and the surrounding areas.  Due to Covid, I am seeing houses on sale for under $500,000 for the first time since the Great Recession.  I am hoping to wait a few more months and buy another house.

That being said, I like the South Bay beach cities and the area near the border of Orange County best (Cerritos, La Palma, etc.)

• Foofa

"Affordability" is subjective but if you can swing a mill (as opposed to four times that to live in L.A. County) Oxnard and Ventura are considered deals in terms of the California coast. 

There is no shortage of cost of living index websites telling you what the most 'affordable' cities are.  What you consider affordable may not be what the next person does.  You have to do your own research based on your income and desires.  'near the ocean' is also very vague.  Many people think anywhere an hour from the ocean is close.  Others think 5 blocks is too far.

Here's the rub, the more affordable places are the ones more likely to have a crime problem.  Take Compton, CA for example.  Compton is a "suburb" of Los Angeles, which also happens to have a lot oil refineries and heavy industry - which drives down property values.  Nobody wants to live near a smelly/potentially dangerous oil refinery accept people who can't afford to live elsewhere.  Compton just also happens to have a reputation for crime.  The phenomena is not unique to California.

The next more affordable places are the ones where jobs are scarce, meaning you need to commute for an hour+ each way to get to work.  When you do that you end up pouring money into commuting (vehicle costs) vs a place to live.  

There is no nirvana here.  

i would just go visit and see and then you'll know