my doctor wants to put me on medical leave from work because of covid-19 can I collect unemployment for a year ?

I am dealing with pinched nerve, scoliosis, diabetes, arthritis and asthma.  My doctor is concerned but the issue is unemployment only last six months normally but he claims I can get it for a full year. I can get state maximum $550 a week. 

5 Answers

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    You don't apply for unemployment insurance to go on medical leave. You apply for disability payments. Yes, I know that right now it's less than UI. But you don't get to jump onto the bandwagon when your situation isn't eligible. 

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    If you are to sick or injured to work you are not eligible for unemployment and even if you were, NO state pays unemployment for a year.

    So, you will need to apply for disability through Social security and that takes at least 12 to 18 months to get approved even with a lawyer.

    And none of the medical issues you have would qualify you for even federal disability

  • Kini
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Those symptoms you have do not show you have Covid. If you are sick, you should apply for state disability, not unemployment benefits. Those can last a year with a doctor's note. But the conditions you describe are probably what you had before so you cant blame your job or Covid 19. Unemployment benefits dont last a year.

  • 4 weeks ago

    No.  You can't collect unemployment for even one day if you can't work because you are sick or injured.  You can only collect sick pay or disability benefits.  Unemployment is only for workers who are able to work.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

    You have a daunting array of problems!  But your brain still works okay, right?  (I know from personal experience that diabetes can cause brain fog.  But you seem okay.)

    So use your brain!  Do some research.  Call someone at your state's unemployment dept. (they probably have an 800 number just for this purpose).  Explain the situation and ask what the deal is.

    You might also call your local SSA (Social Security Administration) and see if you qualify for SSI (Disability).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.