df
df asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

Would you consider being vegetarian a choice if the person was raised in a vegetarian household and never tasted meat ?

no freewill is an illusion

• Jeff H

Yes since unless the person was kept away from all other individuals they would become aware of other types of diets and, unless they were totally inclined to continue as a vegetarian, they would likely try other foods and, as they grew older, make up their own minds.

Here is an analogy...most people who practice a religion will practice what they have been taught while growing up, religiously speaking. 

If one is raised as a vegan, that is all they know and they may not want to experiment with other foods for which they have not acquired a taste for.

• Thorn

Sure.  They are not prisoners

I'd consider raising a child as vegetarian to be child abuse and the parents should go to prison and therapy sessions provides to help slowly introduce meat into the child's diet. 

• Fubar

We are all Texas meat eaters in the family

What person? Your question doesn't make sense!

I wouldn't have a problem with being vegetarian if there was a good reason but I wouldn't choose to be. 

• No. Their preferences are just that- theirs.  I respect if the make a decision for themselves but they should respect my decision to not be a vegetarian.

• Daisy

Of course being vegetarian is a choice. While parents are providing food, a child should eat what is presented to them. Once  they are providing their own food, they have the right to choose what they want to eat.

• It would be someone else's choice - and child abuse.