Polish President cites "freedom of speech" to attack the LGBT community, do you think hatred is protected by freedom of speech?

Update:

*He's Andrzej Duda. 

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Not in USA it’s considered hate speech 

• 1 month ago

If the speech crosses the line and becomes "Fighting Words", it is no longer protected under the US First Amendment.

• Sky
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Speaking only from the perspective of a US citizen who lives under the 1st amendment of the US constitution, yes, hateful speech is protected by the freedom of speech.  Thing is, it must only ever remain speech; if it turns into actual assault or harassment on anyone, or incites violence on anyone, then it becomes illegal.  But as far as just the mere speech and expression of those opinions go, yes it is protected, and so is the speech of all those who speak out against that hatred.  As Evelyn Beatrice Hall once wrote:  "I disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

• 1 month ago

2/3 of Poland consists of homo zones, while only 1/3 is no homo zones.

That is not fair, since LGBT is only a small minority.

But they wants only more and more and more.

I hope Mr. Duda will help bring justice to the good and decent heterosexual majority of his country!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes, it's legal. But uncivil.

• 1 month ago

I have noticed that countries who are socially and financially secure allow for LGBT rights while countries who have issues,  socially or financial and often its both,  these governments seem to point to minority groups and blame them for the problems.   

If you have a Polish President pointing the finger at a minority group,  you have to wonder what is happening that he don't want the man in the street talking about.

That was exactly what Hitler did in Germany in the 1930s by saying the Jews are a problem and just recently in South Africa they said white farmers are the problem.

It turned out that the Jews were not a problem in Germany and neither were the white farmers in South Africa and neither is homosexuality.   

Just what is happening that the government in Poland does not want you knowing about. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

As long as it's just speech, yes.

• sam
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

I believe you have the right to say whatever you want. However, that doesn't mean you get to say whatever you want with no consequences. Just because you can say things doesn't mean you should.

• 1 month ago

When someone uses words that incite others to violence, that is hate speech and is simply wrong.  When someone tells lies about others that hurts a reputation or would lead others to harm that person, that is libel and is also wrong.

• 1 month ago

Speaking against someone is not hatred.  It is expressing opinions.  I think everyone in the lgb community should go back into their closets.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.