Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

How do we pronounce because/cause/cuz + you (American English)?

I often hear it pronounced like a french j (as in closure, leisure), but is it so? I mean, is it correct?

Actually I hear it more often with 'cause than the full form "because"

Does it work for other /z/ sounds, such as "as you"?

I highly doubt that you hear it as a "French j". No native speakers pronounce it that way.  The s is pronounced like z.

It just depends on each individual speaker. Some people will say it like 'cuz zhou', like the 'je' in French as you say, sort of joining the two words together.  Others will be more precise in their speech and will say cuZ You, making them two distinct words. (Cuz is the most common way of saying it, and even writing it in slang, it's just laziness on our part).

it's the same with many words + you.  'What you' can be more like 'whatcha" and sometimes people even spell it that way, in slang. The t of what and the y of you slide together and become like a ch sound. But only sometimes. Sometimes it's very clearly whaT You - although, again, this can be a regional thing. North Americans tend to really soften the t and the end of it and so it almost can't be heard (almost like wah you), whereas in Britain and other places, they really hit the T hard.

There's no rule for this, and every person will use both interchangeably without even knowing why themselves. I would cautiously say that 'becauzhou' is less common, and if in doubt, you should always pronounce things clearly, especially if you are a non-native speaker and might have a heavy accent.