I share my experiences with reading hard literature and people feel the need to challenge me on it, how come?

Is it that hard to believe at 27 I've read Moby ****, 1984 or Frankenstein?

You guys are boring and negative and quite aggressive actually. You don't seem to think reading is a big deal, which is probably explains why most of you are behaving like children. Unfortunately nobody gets best answer. 

I didn't notice you "sharing experiences". You listed half a dozen books, in a way that suggested these were the ONLY books you had read, and asked for our "thoughts".

Evidently most of us "thought", What is his point? We've probably all read most of those, but we don't feel the need to tell people.

At 27, pretty much everyone has read those books.  1984 is commonly taught in Sophomore English - there are tons of guides online for teachers to help them design lesson plans for students at that grade level.  Frankenstein is also usually read Freshman or Sophomore year.  Neither is overly challenging.  Moby **** is usually taught in Junior or Senior English classes.  But all of these books are standard high school texts.  Personally, I found Melville to be less boring than Faulkner.  We read both in high school my Senior year.  And Hemingway, naturally.  Also dull. Dostoyevsky was Junior year.  It wasn't a fun year of English texts.  I do remember enjoying Frankenstein and 1984, which we read along with Brave New World in class my Freshman year.

Now, if you're saying that you're not a native speaker of English and you read them, that's a great accomplishment!  You honestly should be proud.  But if you're a typical American who graduated from a typical public high school, you're not atypical at all.

No. I read The Count of Monte Cristo in high school. For fun. 

• Marli

It is neither hard to believe nor a big deal that at 27 you have read those books.  Most people who love to read have read them by age 27.   (OK. I have not yet read Moby beyond the first chapter, so finishing that book is impressive.)

But Yahoo Answers exists to answer questions (or to suggest what can help to answer questions). It shouldn't exist to say, "I have read these classics. What do you think of that?" Do you mean "Aren't I special?"

I am glad you like to read the classics, and I hope you will answer questions about them (or suggest where answers may be found) but that doesn't make you special.  I can and have bored people with facts I have read about the Titanic or my other interests; but that doesn't make me special or even an expert.

• Cogito

Those are not 'hard' literature.

I'd read all of those by the age of about 12 or 13.

If people challenge you, I'd guess it's because you've been boasting about what you've read and are being a total pain in the rear end.

• Zac Z

You weren't sharing your experiences (here: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200... ), you were literally asking for "[t]houghts on [your] reading choices".

And "people" constitutes of 2 persons answering.

Seems to me that you have a problem of self-esteem.

I've read a few piece of what you call "hard literature", e.g. I worked my way through Dante's "Divine Comedy". But I don't feel the need to tell people about it. I did this because I love speculative fiction and not only did it have a considerable influence on Western ideas of what hell looks like, I also have specific books on my reading pile that draw on it and I wanted to have a reference point: Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's "Inferno" and its sequel "Escape from Hell", Dan Brown's "Inferno", and Matthew Pearl's "The Dante Club".

I've also read Shelley's "Frankenstein" because I thought I might want to be familiar with one of the first SF novels. I didn't find it to be "hard literature" but rather whiny and a little repetitive. Still happy, in a way, that I read.

Yet, I've never felt the need to ask people questions about what they thought about my reading choices.

I read for my personal pleasure. I don't give a fuсk what other people think about the books I read since I read them for myself and not for other people.

Make of that what you will.

• Lomax

No, it's not hard to believe (or wasn't, until I saw that your avatar was of someone who would struggle to read The Very Hungry Caterpillar...).

The fact that you feel the need to boast about this, however....

By the way, Moby-Asterisk is hyphenated.