What's an idea to write a story set in the 80's without having it take place on a day before an event?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You're not going to write anything except for ten questions exactly like this one that will appear one after the other, day after day, as you perpetuate the silly fantasy that you're capable of writing a story. 

• 1 month ago

Do a coming of age story.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't understand your question as you typed it.  Based on MsBittner's and bluebellbkk's answers, I  will add my five cents worth.

I have read books about the Titanic sinking in April 1912. Many of them describe the last day it was afloat. It was an ordinary Sunday.  Captain Smith read a church service in the First Class dining saloon. The stewards and crews did their jobs and the passengers read, played cards, strolled the deck. The usual activities. 

Reports of iceberg sightings were received, but the wireless operators were too busy transmitting their backlog of passengers messages to send all of them to the Bridge. The captain handed one ice message to the chairman of the line, who showed it to two ladies and put it in his pocket.   

We know the ship sank.  Our foreknowledge rivets our attention to that scene of the captain showing the message to the chairman and the chairman putting it in his pocket while the passengers stroll by. It's all pleasant and all are complacent about docking in New York and for them it's an average day at sea.  Twelve hours later ... nothing was ordinary and predictable.

If Titanic had not struck the berg and sank, few of her passengers and crew would have remembered that Sunday a week after she made port.

It was just another Sunday.

The authors of those books did a lot of research to describe that scene and the others in the book. Newspapers. Survivors' stories. The backgrounds of the two men and the two women. Transcripts of the U.S. Senate investigation and Mrs  Ryerson's deposition that Mr  Ismay showed her the ice message and was blasé about potential danger - the significant detail in the above scene.

And that is what you must do to write your book.  Research and use the research to find significant details that tell your story.

• 1 month ago

No, Kevin. The concept for your story needs to come from you, and if you want it set in a time other than now, it's on *you* to know what was going on when and where you want it to take place. You still haven't looked up a newspaper and read it, right?

We're not going to do your work for you.

"The night before X" is a concept that works--I've seen two plays based on the night before a famous person died--but you have to decide what X is, then figure out how the world was just before it, and how X happening impacts or changes things, or the audience's understanding of X. This takes research and thought--and has to come from you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You asked before about 'the day before Samantha Smith was invited to visit Moscow by Yuri Andropov'. The day before she was invited was surely a day like any other. Nothing makes it special.

And the same now with your present question. If you want to write a time-travel story, get on with it. Even if your character knows that some important international event is going to happen, nobody else does. Their day will be a normal one.

It's clear you haven't really thought this through. It's OK - that's not a crime. But do stop now, and THINK about what the  POINT of your story is going to be.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.