Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

An 8 pt. Whitetail deer is standing still, broadside to you.  You have a Winchester Model 94 or Marlin Model 336C (your choice)  in .30-30?

with open factory sights. The carbine is loaded with Remington Green and Yellow 150 gr. Core-Lokt bullets (not Leverrevolution). You are standing, firing offhand. How far away can the deer be, for you to have a 90 per cent chance of hitting it (the deer will stand still for 5 more seconds.)

* With me, that distance is 60-70 yards. I know, because I have done it.

Do NOT buy a Marlin!  Marlin is own by Remington and production was moved from the Marlin factory to the Remingtons!  The Marlin factory made a excellent gun but Remington has serious quality control problems.  Unless you can find a older Marlin made in a Marlin factory I would go with something else.  

The sight is the liability here. Maybe 100 yards or 150 with a peep sight.

200 yards is about tops with any sight.

• John

FORGET all that nonsense about the .30-30 being a 150 yard deer rifle.  With a scope, the STANDARD cartridge will have enough stopping power to get the job done on a whitetail deer out to 200 yards -PERIOD

To answer the question, it isn't a matter of stopping power.  It's a matter of being able to place a good shot with the naked eye (using open sights).  Therefore, such a feat is possible out to 100 to 125 yards, but no more.

• Adam D

I would take that shot out to 100 yards.

Myself ????????????

Being honest, I have only once in my life fired a shot at a Deer. That was to help a young boy recover the one he shot on his Dad's Property.

I would run grab my camera. NOT a firearm. I have mostly lived with Deer in our front yard all my life.

• C T M

I have a clear line of sight of 100 yards exactly behind my house. (I have laser range findered it) I've shot enough 30-30 at 100 yards offhand as you describe to be sure I could kill a deer at that distance. I would prefer 60 to 70 yards of course. 

• BBean

60-70 yards is realistic in my area  with any rifle because of heavy undergrowth.