Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Do you live in a house you don’t like?

Can you not afford a mortgage? Or the expense of renting a lovely modernised apartment or house and instead have to make do with something inexpensive , old and falling apart with crazy neighbours? I do. Do you live in a house or apartment you hate? 

• Sathi

I like it. I estimate my mortgage will be paid off in 3-1/2 years.

• I am renting a room in a shared house in East London, UK. The house itself is ok but it's some of the tenants that are my problem. They are seriously weird, creepy and don't care about others.

I'm the only one doing the cleaning usually for the bathroom, deep clean the kitchen and have separate dustpan and brush for my room. I have had a toe verruca long time ago caught from a hostel or gym and I don't want to experience that again.

Even if the shower has brown foot marks in it, they'll still use it like that, the toilet bowl has sh/it stains but they always see it and leave it for whoever. Females without penises piss allover the toilet seat as well although this one, we don't know who's doing it.

They like to complain about my food that my goat meat stinks. They won't wait just one hr on Wednesdays till I'm finished cooking. 

We don't fight or argue but this alone is gonna get me to move out in an estimate time. When I get a better job, I'll start a mortgage.

And not to mention, there are too many people living there. 4 ladies downstairs including me using the one bathroom downstairs, 1 lady tenant upstairs sharing the bathroom upstairs with the landlord, his wife and 2 children. The landlord built another loft on top of upstairs which contains a small kitchen, a room and an attic, so we have two stairways now to see the whole house.

I used to, and it made life worse than life otherwise has to be.  It was an old, run-down apartment is a ratty building. I bought it during the 2008 financial crisis, when I was having my own financial crisis.  I was cheap, and it was cheap. Not worth it.

Fortunately I moved.  now I love my new place, but the mortgage is steep.

• D1218

Maybe not like but old where everything needs a lot of work and redoing.

Not any more, but I did do previously for 15 years.

As a single 20 something I bought a small house in a bit of a rundown area to get myself out of the rental sector..... Well 15 years later I was still there... By which time the area had really declined as it had become a dumping ground for asylum seekers. On top of that I had no real outside space and the house needed a lot of work

It's quite a depressing way to live..... But it was cheap and it did free up money for other things.

I love my house. And I don't pay a mortgage--it's completely paid for. 

I'm in an apartment but don't hate the one I am in currently. The manager is nice & price fair 

(especially compared to where I moved from) given the amount of space + what's included. 

No.  I like it a lot.  It is not perfect but we worked with what we bought and we improved it immensely and gave it some really nice changes and additions.  We mostly gutted it.  It is not recognizable inside compared to the original home.  Still, the pantry could be larger - there are several could bes.  But houses where we bought are all a certain style to begin with and it cannot just expect something like in the old country.

no......................................

• Scott

No, we built our dream house 5 years ago.