Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

Can I pay an estimated tax payment to a job where I work for an Employer?

I work for this 2nd Employer at the front desk counter. I average around 18 hours a week & they take out for Social Security and the medical tax. I think the medical tax is in case I get hurt tax but this 2nd Employer don't take out Federal taxes. My main 1st job that is also at front desk averages me around 40 hours a week but this other Employer takes out Federal taxes on me and the other taxes.

10 Answers

  • 4 weeks ago

    More of a salary is not a tax,it seems wise asalarry ther is paid and is caught by the worker.First job is wise,or a single job,the scond job is confined there already as a exorting more of any thing  from a consumed money at hand.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    You are the one who tells your employer how much income tax to deduct.   Remember that W-4 form you filled out?

    If you want them to take out more tax, fill out a new W-4.

    Quarterly estimated tax payments are made directly to the IRS.  Your employer is not your personal secretary.

  • Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    It's not medical tax, it's medicare tax. It does not cover you in case you get hurt. It is a payment toward your future coverage under Medicare.  You can fill out a new W4 with your 2nd employer and indicate an additional amount to withhold. You probably don't earn enough from that employer for your wages to be subject to withholding.  You might want to check your state withholding as well if your state has income tax. Employers do not collect estimated tax payments.

  • 1 month ago

    The MEDICAID tax  IS NOT medical insurance.

    You need to adjust you W-4 to withhold the proper TOTAL amount between your jobs.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    It's not medical tax, it's MEDICARE tax. Every employer has to pay that so they have to take it out of your pay. It's not a tax in case you get hurt on the job. It's paid into MEDICARE--for those who are over 62.  You can tell this employer to take more federal tax out of your pay if you want, or you can simply set aside about 15 percent of your pay every paycheck to pay your tax when you do your taxes. Usually when an employer has an employee who works less than 20 hours a week, they don't bother taking out Federal tax. 

    You'll file everything on one form--and whatever income you have from both jobs will determine how much you owe in taxes. OR--you can simply have the FIRST employer take out more to cover the SECOND employer. Or you can wait until the tax year ends and you're ready to file and you can pay it all then If you end up owing. 

     You may not owe anything for the second job--it may only reduce the refund you'd get from your tax on the first job--(if you get a refund.)  I would only put some extra money away every payday--that will cover any tax you might owe if you have to pay rather than getting any refund. It's the easiest way to do it. Paying estimated tax is usually done by contract employees who don't work for an employer, but work for themselves. It's unnecessarily complicated to make estimated tax payments. You have to do them every quarter and it's kind of a pain in the butt. So just stick some extra money into a savings account (or under your mattress) for when you file with both W2s. 

  • Amy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    As long as you pay the correct total amount of tax, the IRS does not care how much of it comes through employer #1, employer #2, or you pay directly to the IRS.


    Medicare tax is like social security tax - a pyramid scheme that pays the expenses of currently retired people, and you hope there will still be employees paying into the system when you retire. Your employer might also offer disability insurance, but that's not a tax.

  • 1 month ago

    Not exactly.  You have two options.  You can have the job that takes out taxes take out more, so that enough is taken out; however, this is not an "estimated tax payment".  Or you can pay the estimated tax payments to the government (not the job).

  • NA
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Update your W-4.  If your income is very low, even putting 0 allowances may not work.

    Instead, put a flat amount per paycheck.  Alternately, update the W-4 for your main job to take out extra money.

  • Shay
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    The "medical tax"  is not in case you get hurt.  It is for your health care when you retire.  They are taking out medicare taxes and social security taxes.  If they are taking these two taxes - then they also should be able to take federal taxes.  You might not have correctly filled out a W-4 form with this company and that might be why they are taking nothing.  

    You can do one of two things.  You can increase the taxes being withheld at the other job to help cover the job that is taking none OR you can check with the job that is taking none about filling out a new W-4 to correct your tax withholding on that income.

    On the W-4 form, there is a line that you can fill out to have extra taxes with held.  You can put any amount on that line.  If you have an extra $10 to $20 (or more if needed) taken out per check, you might cover the difference of your part time job.  You could find an online calculator to help you determine how much taxes should come out of each check to help  you decide what extra amount you want withheld each check.

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    You can put an amount on line 4(c) on your W-4 for them to take out, or pay direct to IRS.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.