Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 1 month ago

if a person suffers from insomnia, can they prevent or delay heart failure by staying in bed longer?

I can't sleep more than 4 hours a night. I read that insomnia will eventually lead to heart failure because the heart never gets to rest. But if I stay in bed for most of the day meditating and keep my heart rate below 70 bpm, can I delay the heart failure? Would that be enough? Or will I still get heart failure if my insomnia continues?

Fighting the urge to check the time, constantly tossing and turning. Lack of sleep combined with work load. It was unbelievable, what do I do? I couldn’t even remember the simplest of things. For 4 months straight I was sleeping an hour or two each night. It was challenging making the right decisions, what if I get laid off?

First of all, you are not alone. A shocking 50-70 million Americans have sleep difficulties.

But not to worry, there are some very practical strategies that you can use if you would like to try change your behaviors to improve your sleep.

If you can’t sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there worrying. It’s the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep. - Dale Carnegiew

Here is exactly how you overcome Insomnia

READ ME: 

Don’t battle insomnia – Sleep is a natural biological process that can’t be controlled, and battling against it could be likened to an endless game of tug of war that wakes you up even more! Learning to let go of the battle is the first step towards recovery.

Stress - Stress and anxiety can create substantial barriers to sleep. Some tools that you can use during your day and near bedtime to reduce worry and stress are breathing exercises

Be mindful – Worrying about poor quality sleep you’ve had in the past or imagining how bad things will be in the future if you don’t sleep only helps to increase nighttime wakefulness. Choose to mindfully observe the movement of your breath, whilst noticing and letting go of your worries as they arise.

Heart failure os not tied to this at all--how did you connect the two? Find out about your insomnia, not something remote.

• kelvin

you do not have insomnia

I think instead of worrying about that, you should find an appropriate doctor, and try to find out why you can only sleep 4 hours a night. It's one thing to want to only sleep that little, but if you can't sleep more ,that's not normal, and you should have it investigated. You might have sleep apnea or breathing problems, or something else that can be corrected.