just don't know anything about buying stock  how much they are etc need a little extra coming in to make up for what I'm losing on my 401k?

I just don't know anything about buying stocks, how much they are, etc. I need a little extra coming in to make up for what I'm losing on my 401k. I have about 10 more years to work

The prices range from $0.01 to over $250,000.

If you're losing on your 401K, then you'd probably do just as bad buying stock.

• fcas80

If you believe in the future of the US and you have ten years to retirement, buy shares in a broad based mutual fund index such as one that replicates the entire US stock market.  Your IRA probably offers one.

Your 401k is likely made up on mainly stocks through different funds.  If your knowledge is this low (nothing wrong with that) and you have a 10 year window, I wouldn't be starting to understand this.  If you have extra money to invest, you can look at an IRA.  It works similar to your 401k.  You can also talk to an expert about your financial goals and retirement desires.  Better to do that now than later.  They can advise and even invest your money for you.  Look for a favorable fee structure and it will not cost much.  The benefits far outweigh any cost.