Ron Paul 2012 asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

how do i get dogs to like me?

I thought dogs can sense if a person is good or bad. I just want to pet every dog I see

when I go to my friends house and try to pet their dogs, the big dogs usually let me but the small dogs usually walk away from me 

one: rub yourself with meat

or

two: dogs respond to facial expression and tone just smile and talk like youre happy

Try carrying treats with you. 

• "how do i get dogs to like me?"

I don't know - I don't KNOW you.

How DO ❗️YOU❗️ get dogs to like you?

Luckily dogs haven't learnt to read text, so they won't be "put off you" by you not bothering to start your question and the 1-letter pronoun that stands for you with a capital letter each.

Nor by that in the next sections you didn't put a full-stop ("period", if you're a Yank or Reb) after the "see" and the final "me". Nor did you start the "when" sentence with a capital letter.

• "I thought dogs can sense if a person is good or bad."

You were wrong.

From your odour and your "body language", experienced dogs can tell MUCH about your health and MOOD, but NOT whether you are RELIABLY "good" or "bad".

• "I just want to pet every dog I see "

So learn to CONTROL your impulses.

♦ Do you go up to every girl you see and stroke her hair, kiss her face, start reaching lower?

♦ Do you go up to every car you see in a sales yard, start it up, put it in gear, and take it for a test drive without getting the salesman's permission and without taking him along?

Start thinking about what the 🐩DOG wants.

However, provided you promise to NOT sue the owner of every dog that bites you, I suppose you could be TAUGHT by the responses of those chained up adult dogs that are known as Alaskan Malamutes, American  Pit Bull Terriers, Boerboels, Boxers, Bullmastiffs, Caucasian Ovcharkas, Dobermanns, Dogo Argentinos, Fila Brasileiros, German Shepherd Dogs, Presa Canario, Rottweilers, Siberian Huskies, Tosa Inu, or wolf🐺crosses. Not that they are necessarily aggressive, but they are POWERFUL, and if you touch a sore spot or startle them they have only 2 choices: #1: run away, or #2: bite - and guess which one the chain prevents them from doing!

• "Updated 3 days ago: when I go to my friends house and try to pet their dogs, the big dogs usually let me but the small dogs usually walk away from me "

When you go to your friends' homes, do you also like to chew on interesting fruit you see, suck lollies you see, lie on beds or couches you see, smoke cigars or ganja you see, switch the radio or tv you see to a channel you like?

Or do you ask your friend whether it is okay to do/have/lie on/take one of them?

If you want to pet someone else's 🐕dog, MANNERS (manners to the owner, and manners to the dog) should have you ASK your friend (1) whether it is okay, (2) what kind of petting does the dog like & NOT like, and (3) what kind of pea-sized treat should you bring with you and place on the palm of your hand.

2 exceptions are that you should NEVER ask to pat a 🦮guide dog or a police dog while it is on duty. Until they are relaxing at home, both kinds of dog need to give all their concentration to their work.

Les the aged Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

• J M

You should never approach someone else’s dog. 

• Jojo

Petting a dog, (for no reason) is not seen by the dog as particularly friendly, and can even induce the dog to view you as inferior.

Best thing is to tell the dog to sit, or obey some other command (ask owner) and then give it a treat. 

The dogs will then ( or may)  look forward to seeing you more, when you visit. 

Dogs judge a person by their body language (sometimes by sweat smell) and can usually tell if a person is a pushover, nervous, or a leader (confident) type person.

Petting a dog that is not yours, is like (in the dogs view) you are showing homeage to the dog and regard it as above you in status.

Hence why the small dogs walk away and the larger dogs just `allow` you to touch them.

By the way,  its dangerous (and rude) to pet every dog you see, unless the owner says its ok. One day you may get bitten if the dog objects.

• Anna

Give them treats or bones. Treats always win dogs over.

Turn yourself into a bone.

• Edwena

Well, dogs like you if you are friendly and exhibit leadership.  Leadership gives them security and a sense of purpose which develops the dogs persona, etc.   Being friendly shows that security and purpose are good and there is little danger or stress. Now, for kids, it is easy to be friendly but more hard to exhibit leadership, especially some females because they too defer to males for leadership. So, it depends upon who you are that determines how well you will be with dogs, or other animals as well. They all have the same relationship requirements, in different styles. And you can include people as well.