Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

Does paying my discover credit card early prevent me from building credit?

I know they still report everything to the credit bureaus 

• 1 week ago

No, it is often a plus when you're prompt together with your bill paying.

Define "early." I say WAIT for the monthly statement, review it, and pay within terms.  If you pay the bill before the cut-off day (and thus show "no" activity this could be not beneficial for your credit score).

No.  If anything, it would help you build credit.

Of course not. But there is little benefit to paying early unless you are already paying interest or you are using a large percentage of your available credit. And you should never pay interest.

I pay mine the last possible day with autopay. The cards pull from my bank account on the due date. Not before. I earn interest in the interim.

Having credit and showing you pay on-time consistently is what helps.  Paying early doesn't do anything for your credit in the long run.

Your balance, if a large percentage of your total available credit, can affect your credit score for that reporting period.  That does not have a lasting affect, however, so if this is only a concern if you are looking for a loan at that time.  Then keep the balance low since you don't know exactly when it will be reported.

No, it's always a plus when you're prompt with your bill paying.

• Tavy

No it increases your credit rating.

Good payer.