Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

Does paying my discover credit card early prevent me from building credit?

I know they still report everything to the credit bureaus 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago

No, it is often a plus when you're prompt together with your bill paying.

• 1 month ago

Define "early." I say WAIT for the monthly statement, review it, and pay within terms.  If you pay the bill before the cut-off day (and thus show "no" activity this could be not beneficial for your credit score).

• 1 month ago

No.  If anything, it would help you build credit.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Of course not. But there is little benefit to paying early unless you are already paying interest or you are using a large percentage of your available credit. And you should never pay interest.

I pay mine the last possible day with autopay. The cards pull from my bank account on the due date. Not before. I earn interest in the interim.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Having credit and showing you pay on-time consistently is what helps.  Paying early doesn't do anything for your credit in the long run.

Your balance, if a large percentage of your total available credit, can affect your credit score for that reporting period.  That does not have a lasting affect, however, so if this is only a concern if you are looking for a loan at that time.  Then keep the balance low since you don't know exactly when it will be reported.

• 1 month ago

No, it's always a plus when you're prompt with your bill paying.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No it increases your credit rating.

Good payer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.