Opinion on people changing there name as adults? ?

Favorite Answer

I did it at the age of 20. As a tribute to my paternal grandmother who had passed away a couple of weeks earlier. I have now had that name longer than I had my birth name. 

If it's something they really want to go and are willing to go through the effort and expense of also having to change official documents like passports and driver's licenses, it'sw okay.

• SR

I’m not usually a fan of it, but I guess it depends on the circumstances.

• Nothing wrong with it.

Don't have much of a opinion on it, I thought of changing my name when I was younger.

• blank

I do not  beliave in changing  anyones  name,kid or adult unless the name. Is very  offensive on some way 

• Snid

I have no opinion on it except that it's their business, not mine.

• edward

Waste of time and money.  I would have to get my name on everything changed.  The mortgage on the house, all my legal documents, my direct deposit from work changed, my hospital ID would need to be changed, it’s just a hassle to do all that work

I think it should only be done if there's a really important reason, like your name is very embarrassing and holds you back in life, or you had abusive parents and want to distance yourself. In general though, I believe the name our parents choose for us at birth is an important part of our identity and says something about them and their hopes for you. 

I changed my name when I transitioned M2F and our son is planning to drop our surname.  Whereas I think he's focussing on his hatred for his grandfather rather excessively while ignoring all the wonderful things our clan has done in music, philosophy, technology and the like, it's his right to do that and I have no problem with it.