dizwar
dizwar asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

If I put a pot roast, potatoes, carrots, onions, tomatoes, & raw rice into a big pot, cover w/ beef broth & simmer 2 hrs, will it taste ok?

Favorite Answer

Eliminate the rice as you really don't want rice stuck to everything in the pot roast dish.

The best way I enjoy pot roast is to cut one onion into 1/2 inch slices to line the bottom of the roasting pan. Add browned meat over the onions and then add all the other ingredients you list...minus the rice. I also add whole mushrooms. Cover, cook at 325 for two hours.

No need to add any liquid as the veggies will sweat and moisten the dish as it roasts in the oven.

Make sure you cut the veggies into big chunks, not small slices, as they will not over cook.

It might taste OK but the meat will probably not be as tender as it could be, and rice is totally unnecessary, you already have your starch with the potatoes.

The meat should roast alone in broth with, if you want tomato, crushed tomatoes and your spices. After two hours, add the potatoes, carrot and onion and roast for two more.

• denise

The rice and tomatoes will be better added a lot later [say in the last 20 minutes], But I wouldn't add rice AND potatoes [double starch].

The rice is going to be mush... but yes the taste should be good.

• kswck2

I would either use a crock pot or cook the rice separately, since it will soak up too much liquid. 

No. It would be best to put it in a crock pot and slow cook it. 

boiling meat is never the best choice.  if you cook your veg and rice for 2 hrs they will turn to absolute mush.

The flavor may be fine, but it will have terrible texture.

your rice will absorb the water and become like porridge, changing the overall texture.