Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 1 month ago

Who is the best team of all-time?

• Kathy

The Green Bay Packers.

In my lifetime, of the teams I've seen, I'd have to say that the late 80s 49ers teams were as good as it's ever gotten.  If I were a LITTLE older, I'd probably say the 70s Steelers, but I was very young in the 70s and don't remember them well.  And of course, my father would have said the 60s Packers.

Free agency took the quality of teams WAY down starting in 1992 (IIRC).  While scheme and coaching have continued to get better, NFL teams after the advent of free agency in the early 90s just couldn't layer the depth and quality that teams could before that.  

And to my eye, the 49ers were the pinnacle with an innovative system, a defense that was far better than people seem to remember, mostly because the offense was SO good that people assume the defense wasn't.  The 49ers were a juggernaut going against other juggernaut teams in the playoffs like the Giants, Redskins, and Bears.  They didn't just win 4 titles, they won 4 titles by going through all-time great teams lined up against them.  And in the late 80s in particular, they STEAMROLLED through those great teams. 

Unfortunately, all the best teams of that era were in the NFC, so the Super Bowl itself tended to be blowouts.  

Early 90s Cowboys and I can prove it.

There are very few teams that can compare to what that team had at the skill positions. Maybe a couple of 49ers teams although they never had a back like Emmitt.

Of those teams none of them ever came close to as good of a defense.

The Cowboys also had one of the better o-lines of all time and were great on special teams.  

@Entropy- It's called logical deduction. I'm sorry if you're unfamiliar with the concept. 

No one knowledgeable about football would dispute anything I said. Are you going to try and claim, Roger Craig was a better RB than Emmitt? Or are you gong to make the argument that the Cowboys o-line wasn't good?