LLM asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 month ago

Does having 20% Ashkenazi Jewish DNA from father's side mean you are Jewish?

I have both parents of Finnish nationality, myself included. While both my mother and father's DNA is mostly Finnish too, from my father's side, he had a grandfather who was 100% Ashkenazi. I am non religious and was brought up with Finnish cultures, language, etc. Should I be identifying myself as Finnish or as Ashkenazi Jewish? In fact my looks aren't 100% Finnish either, many people comment on me not fitting the Finnish stereotype, even though I am 80% Finnish either way... I've been told I should not say I am fully Finnish because of this (I don't live in Finland so I just say I'm Finnish when people ask, because I was born there and everything...) What do you think? This is more of a discussion/feedback kind of question. 

Update:

Maybe the clearer question should be: Should I be identifying as mixed race?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 week ago

There really is no such thing as "jewish" DNA zxqvmpqbc

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• 1 month ago

Jewish is a religion....not an ethnicity.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can identify with whatever you want. Would you rather be identified as a Finnish person or as a Jew? Personally, if I had mostly Finnish ancestry and was raised in a Finnish culture, I'd identify as Finnish.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No.

NOTHING is determined by your so-called percentages.

ALL humans alive are the same race

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No it means that you have 20% Jewish ancestry.  In Jewish lineage is passed through the female line.  You may be of mixed racial  ancestry, but there Finnish Jews who were of Israeli ancestry. 

• 1 month ago

No.  Only converting or having a mother who is Jewish means that you are Jewish.  Having some DNA or even having a 100% Jewish father does not, according to the "Jewish law" (the rules of the Jewish religion).  (The Nazis had a somewhat less stringent standard; they would kill anyone with a Jewish grandparent, even if it was on their father's side.)

• 1 month ago

No,_you_are_not_mixed_race._You_are_a_European_Caucasian_of_Finnish_and_Jewish_ancestry.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No........... it means you chose to entertain yourself and get a DNA test, you are Finnish

• 1 month ago

No. You're Jewish if your mother is Jewish. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.