LLM asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 month ago

Does having 20% Ashkenazi Jewish DNA from father's side mean you are Jewish?

I have both parents of Finnish nationality, myself included. While both my mother and father's DNA is mostly Finnish too, from my father's side, he had a grandfather who was 100% Ashkenazi. I am non religious and was brought up with Finnish cultures, language, etc. Should I be identifying myself as Finnish or as Ashkenazi Jewish? In fact my looks aren't 100% Finnish either, many people comment on me not fitting the Finnish stereotype, even though I am 80% Finnish either way... I've been told I should not say I am fully Finnish because of this (I don't live in Finland so I just say I'm Finnish when people ask, because I was born there and everything...) What do you think? This is more of a discussion/feedback kind of question. 

Maybe the clearer question should be: Should I be identifying as mixed race?

1 week ago

There really is no such thing as "jewish" DNA zxqvmpqbc

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

Jewish is a religion....not an ethnicity.

You can identify with whatever you want. Would you rather be identified as a Finnish person or as a Jew? Personally, if I had mostly Finnish ancestry and was raised in a Finnish culture, I'd identify as Finnish.

• Zirp

No.

NOTHING is determined by your so-called percentages.

ALL humans alive are the same race

No it means that you have 20% Jewish ancestry.  In Jewish lineage is passed through the female line.  You may be of mixed racial  ancestry, but there Finnish Jews who were of Israeli ancestry. 

No.  Only converting or having a mother who is Jewish means that you are Jewish.  Having some DNA or even having a 100% Jewish father does not, according to the "Jewish law" (the rules of the Jewish religion).  (The Nazis had a somewhat less stringent standard; they would kill anyone with a Jewish grandparent, even if it was on their father's side.)

No,_you_are_not_mixed_race._You_are_a_European_Caucasian_of_Finnish_and_Jewish_ancestry.

• Maxi

No........... it means you chose to entertain yourself and get a DNA test, you are Finnish

No. You're Jewish if your mother is Jewish.