What kind of usb should I use to download a linux distro on it?

I am currently using vmware but im thinking of using a different environment on a usb. How much gb should the usb have. 

• Vaman

You can install ubuntu linux on the pen drive and boot it and use. You need not remove anything from laptop.

USB (Universal Serial Bus) is a port, my friend, so presumably you're referring to a USB Flash Drive.

I'm afraid that you won't be able to download a Linux distro directly to the flash drive as it will be delivered to your computer as an .iso (International Standards Organization) file, which you'll have to 'burn' to the flash drive.

The size of the USB Flash Drive that you'll need depends on which specific distro you intend to download.  Some are miniscule, only taking up hundreds of megabytes in size, whereas some of them are several GB (Gigabytes) in size.