What was the average life expectancy for children with diabetes ?

In the early 20th century

How early on the 20th century? Drs Banting and Best in Canada refined insulin from dogs in 1920. The 12 year old niece.of the US Secretary state who took insulin lived into her 80s. Even her children had no idea she was diabetic until after her death. Before 1920 juvenile onset diabetics were lucky if they lived 5 years.   

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC62059...  

I've been a type 1 diabetic since I was 2 years old in 1955, 65+ years and counting. I am still alive and kicking. 

It really depends on how early in the 20th century you wish to go, my friend, but the following pages states:

1920s: James Collip purifies this insulin and it is treated for the first time on a huma, 14-year-old Leonard Thompson.  The work is considered a great success.  The average life expectancy for a child with type 1 diabetes at the beginning of the 20th Century is roughly a year; Leonard lives until the age of 27, when he eventually dies of pneumonia.

By 1945, a newly-diagnosed 10-year-old has a life expectancy of 45 years; a 50-year-old might live for another 16 years.

You'll need to scroll down the page to get to those specific years, plus it was me that made the correction of the mispelling of pneumonia.  The webpage actually spells it pnuemonia, which is and incorrect spelling.

About five years less than those without it.