Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

Why do some pedestrians use bike paths?

The lakefront in Chicago, Illinois has just reopened prior to the Coronavirus (Covid-19) lockdown with restrictions. So I rode my bike to the lakefront while following safety precautions while I had my gloves, a mask and my face shield on. While I was riding my bike to the lakefront in Chicago, the city that I live in, I was using a designated bike path and this woman crossed the street and used the designated bike path as a pedestrian sidewalk! The bike path that I was using is not a pedestrian sidewalk, but there is a pedestrian sidewalk that she could have used. So I slowed down, rung my bike bells multiple times and tried to tell her that this is a designated bike path, there is a pedestrian sidewalk nearby and that she was not supposed to be on the bike path. So I yielded my bike to avoid hitting her. I tried to tell her that this is a bike path, but she ignored me. The pedestrian sidewalk is zero feet away from the designated bike path, she should have used it instead of using the bike path that I was using. There was no other way that I could go around because there were other people on the pedestrian sidewalk and the only option that I had was to yield my bike, so I yielded by slowing my bike down. Is that legal to what she was doing? 

There is a sign below saying "Bikes only, no pedestrians allowed on this path". But the woman ignored it and continued walking on. 

Some people are just stupid 

Why do bike riders ride on sidewalks and other paths clearly meant for pedestrians?

Stupid. People like that should be mowed down.

• F

At least on a cycle oath you can normally see and avoid pedestrians.

You also get some ( dog walkers mostly ) on mountain bike trails despite clear signs. Very dangerous but you just get abuse when you point it out. 

Sadly too many people think rules never apply to them because they are so self important.

• D50

So get used to it. People are going to walk on bike paths no matter what the sign says. Just like people will ride their bikes on sidewalks regardless. And people with cars will drive alone in the carpool lane. That's just the way we humans are.

• pmt853

Why did she do this? Probably because she just doesn't care or think that the rules apply to her. Some people on bikes, on foot, in cars or trucks or buses, in offices or shops or factories, or at home are just jerks.

We live in this wonderful age of video.  If this woman persists on using the bike path to walk on where side walks are available then video it and turn the video into the police.  This would be no different than a pedestrian walking in the street and impeding motor vehicle traffic where sidewalks are available. 

If sidewalks aren't available then a pedestrian can walk in the street facing traffic but must yield to oncoming traffic by stepping off of the road in a safe location.  If there isn't a safe location for the pedestrian to step off of the road then the oncoming traffic must yield to the pedestrian. 

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.

Why not? It is not as if cyclists can not keep their stupid machines off the pavements. 

So ride on the walking path. 

I did find a news article dated May 28, 2019: Lakefront Trail Users Adjusting to Newly Separated Bike, Pedestrian Paths   https://news.wttw.com/2019/05/28/chicago-lakefront...   So?  We have a similar situation here in St. Louis along the riverfront.  Two separate paths clearly marked; one for cyclists, the other for pedestrians & joggers.  Does anyone pay attention to it?  HELL NO.  Get used to it.  People do stupid stuff all the time.  Learn how to adjust.  I adjusted by simply NOT using it.  I use the parallel Leonor K. Sullivan Blvd.  In other words, I ride on the STREETS.  You've got the entire city of Chicago.  Why limit yourself to a 18 mile long "bike path"?  

I see cyclists, motorists & pedestrians all the time breaking the law.  You gonna get all bent out of shape about it every time?  Or just put it behind you & go on with life?  Jeez...don't let the small stuff in life get your blood pressure up so high.  Oh...before I forget, why are you wearing a mask while exercising?  Want to suffer a collapsed lung like that jogger in China? https://nypost.com/2020/05/15/wuhan-man-suffers-co...   I'll wear a mask in a grocery store or other situation where it's needed.  While on a bike, I DON'T wear one.  Can't breathe properly - especially climbing hills where oxygen in the lungs is at a premium.            

Nice rant.  Care for some cheese to go with your WHINE?