Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender & Women's Studies · 1 month ago

Can a feminist become an escort?

Is it contradicting if a girl who claims to be a feminist decides to become an escort?

She's not extremely concerned about women's rights but rather LGBTQIA+ rights. By contributing to an industry that makes women into products, is she doing harm to womankind? Or is it fine because being confident about female sexuality and using it to her advantage is a good message??? Would it make it alright if she quits being a feminist?

Thank you, these are all very helpful answers.

• Elana
    Favorite Answer

First off, you conflate the escort and the prostitution business model.  Sometimes that's reasonable, other times its not.

Secondly, even if you think they are the same thing, there are many feminists who strongly support prostitution as long as it isn't women who can't work anywhere else forced to solicit and give abusive pimps most of their take.

Indeed a woman literally making money off of men (assuming she has dealt with safety issues) is as close to raw female empowerment as you can get.

Thing is, MOST prostitution (throughout the world) ends up being with women who have few choices.

I would think a charming woman who makes her money by being a "plus one", who isn't obligated to have sex with her client, and is free to leave whenever she wants (though perhaps giving up her fee), is pretty much an ideal job for feminists, at least assuming the market is there.

I'm older, and a semi-invalid. There is no way I can date socially. There is no way I can attract a pretty girl. I save up money and use the services of an escort a couple of times a year. Last week end, my service provider, said she was a feminist.

• You can but if you lie about your sexual past to get a guy into a sexual relationship, it's a form of rape so make sure if you ever meet a guy you want a relationship you tell him the truth about your past

• Nat

I was a feminist escort briefly. There is a big difference between a girl that has sex for $100 to buy heroin and a woman with an agency that makes $1000

• Aiden

A lot of feminists would say yes, it is contradicting and demeaning to women.

However the way I see it is that if you don't have the right to choose what you wish to do with your body, then what have we been fighting for all of this time?

So it's up to you. As long as you understand what it is that you're getting in to and you still want to do it, then go for it. Chase your dreams.