I’m currently 18, and I don’t know what to do after High School?

I’m currently 18 and don’t know what to do after High School. I don’t know what my interests are career wise and am really stressed out.

As soon as I turned 18, I had so much anxiety and anxious thoughts of things like “What do I do, now that I’m 18.” “How do I reinvent myself to become a better person.” “Should I take a gap year before college?” “How do I find what my passion is and how will I get there?” All of these questions are still in my mind and I can’t help but just get anxiety just from thinking about what I want to do or where I want to go to college or if college is even for me. If I do end up going to college, I will be a first generation student, meaning that I will be the first person in my family to attend college/university

I’m entering my senior year of High School. By no means I am a terrible student. I’m not the smartest but I make decent grades with more B’s than A’s. I have a GPA of (3.61) and have taken the ACT but done poorly on it. I see others around me the same age as me or even younger, already have their life mapped and set on what they want to do. I know that most of you will reply back and say that I still have so much time to find my path but I feel like time is quickly ticking for me as there is so much pressure around me with many of my family members asking me what do I want to do. It’s embarrassing to reply with, “I don’t know.” I just need advice on what I should do to find my passion and if I should go to college.Thank You 

Favorite Answer

You don't have to decide-- and you really can't predict -- your whole adult life right now.  All you need to do is figure out the next small step.  Here are some things to consider:

1. Your high school has guidance counselors and may offer a variety of tests that can help you determine your personality type as well as interests and career options. See the link below for some of this tests.

2. Realize that most people change their mind about the college major and then their career several times from when they are in high school. Not knowing what you want to do is common.

3.  Focus NOW on studying for the ACT to retake it and work hard to get really good grades your senior year.  Even if you don't go to college next year, you want options in your future.  Having a good GPA and solid ACT score will provide you with options.

4. You can apply to attend a community college or university.  You do not have to attend if you get in, but you can't attend in you don't apply this fall. Again, look at some options.

5.  Millions of people don't go to college.  You may want to work for a while and see if anything sparks your interest. You may find a job area you enjoy that requires a trade school certificate.

6. If you don't want to go to college until you have a clearer idea of what you want to do, simply relax and put a plan in place to get a full-time job when you graduate.  

Instead of letting your questions run rampant through your head, you sit down with a legal pad or some sort of lined paper, and start asking more targeted questions. WRITE your answers! List your strengths & weaknesses, not only academically. Write down your personality traits, like "I'm very social, get along with all kinds & ages of people, like being around other people" vs. "I work best on my own instead of on a team." Assess your talents, abilities, skills you already possess, interests, personality & character traits (honesty, integrity, compassion, determination, perseverance, creativity, curiosity, etc.). 

As you work your way through, clusters start to form. E.g. I love working with my hands, taking things apart & putting them back together, upgrading my computer, fine needlework or woodworking or..... Vs. my manual dexterity is rather poor, but I do love physical activity, sports, etc. Vs. I'm more of a thinker. I'm a neatnik & organize my stuff, vs. I'm a slob. I want to work outdoors vs indoors. I care about …. what? My favorite subject(s) in school are..... I love doing …… 

Take as long as you need to figure out WHO you are, WHAT kind of person you are, and what kind of person you want to be. You're obviously not stupid, so sit down & think it through!

The whole point of going to school is to learn something, did you learn anything in High School to get you started, you are the best qualified to answer your own question. How about a policeman?

talk to a counselor in your school about it