Excel Difference In 2 Dates?

I need a formula that will calculate going from one month to another and the number of whole months in between (without taking into account the actual # of days between two dates.   So if start date is 6/1/2020 and end date is 7/31/2020 i want excel to know i've gone from June 2020 to July 2020 and that's 1 month (so return a 1)   If start date is 6/30/2020 and end date is 7/1/2020, i want excel to still know i've gone from June 2020 to July 2020 and return 1.  Examples below.  I can return a number for the month and subtract that way no problem, but there are multiple years included as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

you can use the DATEDIF() function and just always ensure Start Date is the 1st day of the month.  if your 1st 6/1/2020 is in cell A2 then use this formula

=DATEDIF(A2-DAY(A2)+1,B2,"m")

it should just work when you drag it down.

let me know how it works.

• opurt

You can use the YEAR( ) and MONTH( ) functions together for this . The formula would be something like  =12*(YEAR(B2)-YEAR(B1)) + MONTH(B2)-MONTH(B2).